Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It's all about Debt & Clutter Detox

So...we have decided to bite the bullet and pay off all of our debts. This includes a major downsizing. My Mother-In-Law has been so kind to let us move in with her so we can pay off all the debt in 1 year instead of 5. Although it may not be easy, we are greatful for the opportunity and are determined to hold our head high and escape this debt prison. Since we still have 5 more weeks until our lease is up here so we are packing the right way. That is totally go through everything and only keep the necessary items or keepsakes. I am from a family of clutterers so the word "keepsake" can have many meanings. I have to mentally look at each item and ask myself a few questions. "Is this something I would replace immediately if it was lost?" "Is this something that cannot be replaced and it holds sentimental value?" Or "Should I keep this, I might need it someday?" I have found that almost everthing stuffed in a closet or drawer is in the category of the last question. Chances are...when I finally need that item, I don't know where it is so I buy a new one anyway. So you know what.......It is all gone! I am so proud of myself. You know goodwill doesn't accept all donations, and it got me thinking....if Goodwill won't take it, why in the world am I hanging on to it for? I just finished with our office and it is my new favorite room. I never knew sitting in an empty room could feel so good. Who needs stuff? It is the people you love who matter the most.

6 comments:

fuelMybrain said...

Preaching to the choir sister! Nothing felt so good as to get rid of all the crap.
Way to go on the Money Makeover, Dave would be so proud. I think I hear him shedding a tear right now.

fuelMybrain said...

I just tagged you, go look at my post of Six Random Things About Me, and follow the rules. Have fun!

fuelMybrain said...

Hurry up! Where are you? post post post it up girl.

Malia said...

Great post Melissa. I admire your goals. Totally feelin' ya. Keep us updated on how it is going!

Kaly said...

melwel'

hey are you going to be around in Nov. we will be ther the 22nd would love to see you and the fam. your fam is darling. you me and liv could go to lunch or something..

fuelMybrain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.